Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Universal Shmuniversal?

For some reason (and I don't think I'm the only person who notices this), I've been extra involved in this year's primary. And I never really cared about politics before.

I've mostly been listening to candidate's positions on Iraq, the economy, etc... but I haven't thought much about their healthcare policies. This morning, though, I realized that as someone who is BRCA positive, healthcare is something I should really care about! Now both my parents are in the health profession (my dad a gyno, my stepmom a maternal fetal nurse), so I've always taken it for granted that my healthcare needs would be met. I've also been well-advised by my dad since he knows so much about health issues that affect women, and since my mom had cancer 19 years ago, we're good friends with doctors, nurses, counselors, etc. who have been working with breast cancer for many years.

It's GREAT.

But I realize everyone is not so lucky, and I'd love to hear what other people think. The idea of Universal Healthcare seems great to me. Everyone would get the care they need without shelling out an arm and a leg. But I'm scared about the possibility of lengthy wait times, especially if I happen to get a chronic disease. I'm also scared about the availability of resources. With so many obese people, smokers, and unhealthy people in general, who's to say someone with cancer will be a priority? (Of course this begs the question, why should some health complications take precedence, isn't that unfair? But that's for another day... or month or year).

But I also think the way healthcare works now is advantageous because it allows people who have more to get more. And as one who has more, that puts me in a good position. Again, I realize everyone is not so lucky.

So my (very general) question is... what do you think about the healthcare debate in regards to women who are BRCA positive? Which system would work best for us? Or what kinds of reforms could work in either system to give us the best possible chance at prevention, cure, recovery... etc.

(Am I even asking the right question?)


No comments: