Friday, February 1, 2008

FORCE - Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered

Another thing I'd like to do with this blog is research and provide resources for BRCA positive or other high-risk women.

FORCE (Facing Our Risk of Cancer Empowered) is a non-profit that caters directly to people with a high risk of developing breast cancer - whether it be genetic or hereditary. Here's their site: http://www.facingourrisk.org/

They have branches all over the country, including one in my stomping ground, Philly. The site has message boards and links to good information, and they publish a newsletter. That's just a tiny summary but there's much more so it's worth checking out. I heard about it through my genetic counselor (who I'll refer to on here as my GC, at least from now on).

In May FORCE is hosting it's third national conference called Joining FORCES, to bring together professionals and individuals affected by breast or ovarian cancer risk. My stepmom is a nurse and my dad, being the one who signed me up for BRCA testing in the first place, suggested we go together.

So I'll be in Tampa for the conference, and you can bet your bottom dollar i'll be reporting it all on here. That's not for another few months... so in the meantime... you'll just have to listen to me prattle about other things.

No comments: